Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Milk Day

Teaching moments come at the strangest times and places.  This story is shared from a relative whose son was learning to read and pronounce words.  It has become a bit of a joke in our family for many years.  I share it with you in hopes that you will take teaching moments with your children and grandchildren to teach them more than reading and writing but about fairness, equality, and loving your fellow man.
 
The young man was looking at the school calendar on the fridge and realized that he was out of school for a national holiday.  While gazing at the calender he noticed that the holiday said MLK Day.  He asked his mother  his school was celebrating "Milk Day".  She grinned and realized that he had misread the word on the calendar in trying to sound out words.
 
So, instead of blowing him off and curtly correcting him, she stopped her task and took time to explain a few things to the boy.  She showed him how they were all capital letters and not the word, MilK.  But she didn't stop there.  She explained that the initials stood for Martin Luther King and told him the story of the famous activist.  She explained that Mr. King wanted  people to live in harmony and treat each other equally and fairly.
 
Since that day, it has been referred to as Milk Day in our family.  I was glad to celebrate this day as I agree with Mr. King as well.  I hope we can become a nation that does not  judge a person by their skin color.  I would imagine if he were alive today, he would be also praying that we would not judge a person by their gender (male or female), their sexual preference (straight, lesbian, gay, transgender or bisexual) or their religious belief (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, atheist, or agnostic). 
 
Join me today in celebrating the dream prayed for by Dr. King.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!