Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Grannie

On this date in 1904, Lydia Chasteen was born. She married William Lester and was my sweet Granny! I honor her today for the many things she taught me: how to cook, sew, shell peas, cut up a chicken, and the need to always wear a bonnet. She chastised me as a young girl for never wearing shoes, in my teens for swimming in mixed company, and as a college girl for not coming to visit often enough.

I wish I could remember her voice. But I can still see her hands, her smile and the loose powder she applied for makeup. I miss her still and wonder what she would have thought of her grands and great grands. She was opinionated, a devout Christian and devoted grandparent. How I was blessed to have had her in my life for 21 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!